USA Annual Tai Chi Workshop
Each year, USTCC.ORG awards scholarships for Dr. Paul Lam’s USA Annual June week-long workshop. Eligibility for scholarships is a major benefit of USTCC.ORG membership.
The week-long workshop offers many classes that will allow you to improve your tai chi. Details are available on the Tai Chi for Health Institute website. Award winners are announced in early December by the Committee Chairperson.
The scholarship covers workshop tuition only. The recipients are responsible for room and board, as well as travel to and from the workshop and any other expenses. Applicants must be members of USTCC.ORG. All Scholarships checks will be made payable to the Contractor for the USA Annual Tai Chi Workshop. Scholarship checks are not made to the awardees.
United States Tai Chi Community (USTCC.ORG) will be awarding scholarships for Dr. Lam’s USA Annual June Weeklong Workshop to be held in June. Exact dates and location will be announced on the Institute website. The scholarship is for workshop tuition only. The recipients are responsible for room and board and travel to and from the workshop and any other expenses.
The weeklong workshop offers many classes that will allow you to improve your tai chi. Detailed information about the workshop will be on the Tai Chi for Health Institute website.
An individual is eligible to apply for the scholarship award if he or she:
- Is a USTCC.ORG member in good standing; and
- has not previously received a USTCC.ORG scholarship in the last five years (for example, a member who received a scholarship for the June 2019 or earlier workshop will be eligible to apply for a tuition scholarship to the June 2024 Weeklong Workshop).
Criteria for Award
Awardees are selected on the basis of the applicant’s:
- Seriousness of purpose to develop their knowledge and skills in Dr. Paul Lam’s Tai Chi for Health programs.
- Intention and defined goals to help in their community with their tai chi for health .
- Knowledge through teaching or other means.
- History of community service involvement.
- Financial need.
Applicants will be asked to submit a brief statement regarding criteria 1-3 (see application form). They will also be asked to provide a reference from a Master Trainer, Senior Trainer, or knowledgeable acquaintance who will address:
- Applicant’s serious of purpose to teach tai chi; and
- Ability to relate and work with people.
The Russ Smiley Senior Trainer Scholarship
The Russ Smiley Senior Trainer Scholarship may be awarded once per year at the discretion of the USTCC.ORG Scholarship Committee. All Senior Trainers in good standing with Tai Chi for Health Institute (TCHI) AND United States Tai Chi Community (USTCC.ORG) that have not previously received the Russ Smiley Senior Trainer Scholarship are eligible candidates. The USTCC.ORG Scholarship Committee may award the Russ Smiley Senior Trainer Scholarship to a senior trainer who does an exceptional job conducting the responsibilities of a Senior Trainer.
The applications of individuals who meet the eligibility requirements will be evaluated on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis.
A committee appointed by the USTCC.ORG President will be responsible for evaluating applications according to the award criteria and selecting the final scholarship recipients. Consideration will be given to long term members of USTCC.ORG.
No member of the committee shall be allowed to vote on an application of their immediate family or relatives, employee, employer, student, instructor or other close party.
USTCC.ORG Board Members are not eligible to apply while actively serving on the USTCC.ORG Board.
Awards will be announced in December by the Committee Chairperson. If you are awarded a scholarship and accept it, you will be notified when the workshop registration is available and given instructions on how to register. You will need to register as soon as possible to ensure that the class you desire is available.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
Each applicant must complete a USTCC.ORG Workshop Scholarship Award Application (application) including the short essay supporting their eligibility. Applications may be submitted here on the USTCC.ORG website.
Each applicant agrees to provide United States Tai Chi Community, Inc. with “first” access to their related news stories and photographs for publicity/promotion about the scholarship program and awards. No information will be published or released without the applicant’s permission.
Other Disclosures and Procedures
- The United States Tai Chi Community is not responsible for lost, delayed or undelivered email application submissions.
- Applicants will be notified by email of the timely receipt of their scholarship applications.
- Applications shall be considered confidential material and only members of the scholarship committee may review them.
All Scholarships checks will be made payable to the Contractor for the USA Annual Tai Chi Workshop. Scholarship checks are not made to the awardees.